Faculty Ethics Committee
For guidance on conducting research during the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, click here.
For guidance on how interviews may be recorded and transcribed in Microsoft Teams in a GDRP compliant manner during the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, click here.
If there are changes to data collection or storage methods as a result of the ongoing COVID restrictions, these will need to be notified to the Faculty Research Ethics Committee by completing the relevant tables in the document here.
Please email the completed tables to firstname.lastname@example.org with the header "Changes to Research Ethics Approval due to COVID-19".
Data collection cannot proceed until these changes have been approved/acknowledged by the Faculty Research Ethics Committee.
Research Ethics Review Process
Trinity College Dublin requires that prior to a research study commencing, ethical review is carried out for all proposed research involving human subjects or animals that is conducted by staff and students. Please consult the TCD Good Research Practice Guide for detailed discussion of good research practice and the role of research ethics and ethical review.
Should you submit your application to the Faculty or School Ethics Committee?
The AHSS committee is a Level Two Research Ethics Committee.
The following AHSS Schools have their own Level 2 Research Ethics Committee - applicants from these schools should submit their applications directly to their School REC:
- School of Education
- School of Linguistic, Speech and Communication Sciences
- School of Psychology
- School of Social Work and Social Policy
If you are in any of the other Schools in the Faculty, please consider the questions at this link in relation to your application. If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the application is deemed to be of moderate or high risk and should be submitted to the Faculty Research Ethics Committee.
If you have not answered yes to any of these questions, you should submit the application for consideration to your own Level One School Research Ethics Committee.
For TCD staff and students: To apply for ethical approval from the Faculty Ethics Committee, please fill in the Application Form here, by one of the below deadlines. At the end of this form, you will be asked to upload one pdf with the following documents:
- Title of Project
- Purpose of Project including academic rationale
- Brief Description of methods and measurements to be used
- Relevant Participant Details, such as recruitment methods, number, age, gender, exclusion/inclusion criteria, with statistical justification for numbers of participants where relevant
- Debriefing arrangement
- A clear concise statement of the ethical considerations raised by the project and how you intend to deal with them, including consent
- Cite legislation relevant to the project with the method of compliance, e.g. the Data Protection Act.
- End of project reporting
- Monitoring report
- Notification of adverse event
- Operating procedure
1. Research Project Proposal, to include:
5. Questionnaire (if relevant)
Applicants from outside of TCD should email email@example.com for futher information on how to apply.
DeadlinesThe deadlines for submission of Ethics Applications for 2020/21:
- 5pm, Monday, 28 September 2020 - due to a delay in implementing the new online application process, this has been extended to 5pm Monday 5 October
- 5pm, Monday, 23 November 2020
- 5pm, Monday, 11 January 2021
- 5pm, Monday, 22 February 2021
- 5pm, Tuesday, 6 April 2021
- 5pm, Monday, 17 May 2021